Čiurlionis Family House (now M. K. Čiurlionis Memorial Museum), M. K. Čiurlionio g. 35

There are two houses on the main street of Druskininkai, where Čiurlionis family settled after moving to Druskininkai in 1878. The family lived in a larger grey building, and the yellow house by the road was reserved for vacationers. Home in Druskininkai was very important for M. K. Čiurlionis: it was here that his father started teaching him music in his early years, later, while studying in Plungė, Warsaw or Leipzig, the artist would return to Druskininkai to spend summer vacations and celebrate holidays with his family. While traveling or working in Vilnius, St. Petersburg, M. K. Čiurlionis would return here to find peace, wholeness, and joy of creation. His parents set up a study for him in vacationers’ house – the best workshop he ever had. Many of his famous paintings were produced here. The last time M. K. Čiurlionis visited this house was in the beginning of 1910, when his wife Sofija brought him back from St. Petersburg in poor health.

On the initiative of sisters Valeria Karužienė and Jadvyga Čiurlionytė, the M. K. Čiurlionis Memorial Museum was opened here on 16 June 1963. The sisters’ memories provided for the authentic interior of both houses. In 1975, an auxiliary building of the museum was erected. Here visitors are introduced to the biography of M. K. Čiurlionis, concerts and meetings are held.

You can also contact us by filling out this form